Sunday, April 5, 2009
Whalin' In New Bedford
Headquarters for the New Bedford Whaling National Park, this fine sandstone Greek Revival built in 1853 started as the New Bedford Institute of Savings, back when people did that sort of thing. Later it became the Third District Courthouse (located on Second St.). New Bedford was the richest city in the US during whaling days, and the blubber being converted to buildings is the legacy.